Tuesday 5 June 2012

Bonfire Night Photography

Yesterday was the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.  Four thousand beacons were lit to commemorate the occasion. The photographs below were taken on Worcestershire Beacon - the highest point on the Malvern Hills. Travelling east from that point you'll next reach land at that altitude (1395ft) when you get to the Urals in Russia, some 2500 miles. For me it offered the chance to try something new - photography at night. The one thing I learnt - which I already knew of course was the value of a light but sturdy tripod.

I knew it was to be a full moon last night so I sought out just about the only place available for my tripod where I could get both the moon and the beacon in the frame. "The Photographer's Ephemeris" is an invaluable tool for researching the timing and positioning of the sun and moon so that you can plan ahead for where their positions are important for your photograph.

I took almost 300 shots last evening of which I am satisfied with just a handful, which means, it was a good result. I've also included these three photographs in my Malvern Hills blog here.

Full Moon Rising over the Diamond Jubilee Beacon
Fly the Flag
Making Tracks Back Home

No comments:

Post a Comment